Saturday 28 February 2015

On Christian ministry

I have recently been accepted as a 'Probationary Regionally Recognised Minister' by the West of England Baptist Association. I wanted to share a little bit of my history that explains how I got to this point with my fellow believers in church and so this is a slightly edited version of something I wrote for our church magazine.

 About 5 or 6 years ago, while living in North Yorkshire, I felt a strong call from God into Christian ministry. At the time I did not know what form this would take. I wondered whether God wanted to use me in urban ministry, to reach out to people in a poor area. At the same time I decided I needed to move further south, so I could be closer to my parents in Cardiff.

As I prepared to move south and started to look for a new place to live some things happened. In the first place, I felt God telling me very clearly that he did not want me in urban ministry. Then as I started to house hunt I felt drawn firstly to the Forest of Dean and secondly to Lydbrook. So, to cut a long story short, I moved into Lydbrook in November 2010. It was great to find such a loving and caring church family here in Lydbrook, and after a while I felt myself drawn into preaching, and then into leadership. I have also been studying theology online with Spurgeons' College in London because it is very important to me that I am do this thing properly. I would hate my preaching or teaching to cause confusion.

About eighteen months ago I got in touch with WEBA about getting recognition for this calling. A Regionally Recognised Minister is someone seeking to serve in a ‘limited sphere’ within WEBA. I can only exercise ministry within our association, which is fine as I'm not thinking of going anywhere else. I want to help God lead this church forward, so we can become the community of faith He wants us to be. Praise God that WEBA has recognised my calling. I have to meet a Regional Minister in March to talk over all this entails, which is a little daunting, but I know that God will equip me to do whatever is in His will.

No comments:

Post a Comment